I get asked all the time how do I keep track of everything I need to do with working a full time job, managing an Internet marketing company, managing Internet marketing for clients, as well as, the Internet and social marketing for the main company. Well, today’s tip will provide you with my secret.
What is the one thing that is constantly changing and that we can count on always being there; thus is able to keep track of everything we do? The answer is time. Time is always moving forward and the best way to manage your time is with your electronic calendar.
What I do is schedule my time around appointments, work hours, and time off on my calendar so that I block out my days accordingly. I put every task I need to do on the calendar and the electronic reminders beep as well reminding me to do something.
With some e-mail clients you can even drag-drop an e-mail message onto your calendar. For example, maybe you get an important e-mail message that you have to perform a task, return a call, or return an e-mail and you are in the middle of a project. What I do is schedule that in my calendar so that I don’t forget to take care of the issue.
So here are some tips that I can provide on how to use Technology to Stay on Task.
1. Get yourself an electronic calendar that you can carry with you. I use Google Calendar since it works with my cell phone, desktop, laptop, iPad, whatever.
2. If you go electronic, don’t revert back to paper. You can really get messed up and confused if you keep multiple calendars.
3. On Sunday (or any day you choose), block out your work times on your calendar. What times do you want to spend working with clients, what times to you want to spend researching…etc.
4. Don’t be afraid to reschedule if you have to reschedule. Life happens; there is nothing wrong with rescheduling something. Just let people know if you have to reschedule.
5. Don’t forget to block off down time (family time). All work and no play will make Shawn a dull boy.
6. Periodically check to make sure that items have synced. I had this problem in the past, I was posting items to the wrong calendar… almost missed an appointment.
So in closing, your calendar can be more than just keeping track of appointments. You can also use it to keep track of tasks you have to do. Just move those tasks into your calendar and schedule them for when you have the time.
How do you use technology to stay on task?